Rss Feed

My Quarter-Life Epiphany











A handful of pictures from my trip


They say a human learns to walk at around twelve months old. However, I don't think I really started standing on my two feet until recently. I came back from South America a couple of weeks ago and a tan wasn't the only thing I brought back home (save for the eight Brazilian bikinis I couldn't resist!)

 Who would've thought three short weeks on foreign land could change this rooted headset of mine (which is partly thanks to my Filipino tinted upbringing and skeptic nature)? Especially my views on the working class pyramid. Throughout the duration of my high school years it was reiterated to me of the importance of getting into the medical industry or law. Other options were dismissed therefore I always had the impression that those people, the doctors, nurses and lawyers, were the better people. My tour group was a medley of characters grabbed from nooks and crannies of the world and amongst us, alas was a doctor and a lawyer. On our introductory meeting I was so careful to treat those people with a little more respect than anyone else, always cautious with what I said in front of them in case it dared offended them or made them think any lower of me. But, as each day drew us closer, brought more laughs and formed solid friendships it was obvious that a job title means nothing at all and in the end, it is one's personal entity that ranks them.

I've had this theory since I was a teenager that happiness depends on the prince who broke my 100-year slumber. My friend, Jen told me she recently watched a documentary that detailed how fairy tales brainwash children, hence the many hearts being broken today. And the question running through my head as the plane landed on Brazilian ground was what if I find The One here? I've always felt this unrelenting urge to find my soul mate then one day in Paraty, I was kayaking near the shore when I reached a peaceful spot away from the crowd. I remember looking up and leaning my elbows back on the ledge to come face-to-face with the most incredible scene of palm trees and mountains sprinkled across golden islands. The amount of all the happiness that past boyfriends had given me could not even begin to compare to the euphoria that overcame me at that moment. It was then I knew that right now I needed only me, myself and I.

 Pessimistic is my father's middle name and it was unfortunately passed on to me. My high-strung personality meant that preparing for the holiday entailed over-packing, stressing about paperwork and picturing every possible bad scenario over and over until I almost changed my mind about the trip. Our group got stranded in Colonia, Uruguay when our ferry was unable to leave the dock due to constant storms. I began to fret about our limited time in Buenos Aires, we would be short a day so that meant not having enough time to see this, that and what-not. Then our tour guide, Leon came up with a plan to perform a Sun Dance in hopes for the Gods to answer our pleas. For once I decided to blank my mind and just... dance! And Wow with a capital W, that is so much easier than straining my brain with thoughts and troubles. I'm in South America with the most beautiful company and I'm happy. Why the hell am I worrying for?


 I still cannot believe that only a fraction of my lifetime was devoted to this holiday yet I found a breakthrough to what should have been my Quarter-Life Crisis. I am conquering the stigma of this common phase and pretty soon I won't just be walking, I'll be skipping my way to my thirties, singing "I can see clearly now, the rain is gone!"

0 comments:

Post a Comment